Being a medical student can be either funny, weird or pathetic…
Well, it’s funny when..
- Everybody knows you must be so smart!
- Most of people respect you!
- Everybody calls you a doctor that sometimes you hate it!
- There’s a syndrome with your name (medical student syndrome)!
- You know how to measure blood pressure, how to use a stethoscope and what drugs are used for!!
- You know it’s called “Alzheimer’s” not “Zahaimar” and “Schizophrenia” not “Shezophrenia” ! 😛
- Your neighbor catches flu and asks you to prescribe her a drug!
- You watch medical series and feel so happy when you understand what they’re talking about and much happier when you know the diagnosis of a disease!
- You’ve got plenty of time (7 years) to make new friends, they become a part of your family and you become a part of theirs!
It’s weird when..
- You use medical terms in the middle of your ordinary talk, even without noticing!
- Your Facebook status and posts are medically related!
- You type “Vagus” instead of “Vegas” and “Staph” instead of “Staff” and you may even say “Jugular” instead of “Jaguar”!!
- Your parents get you a stethoscope, a microscope or any other “scope” for your birthday & you may celebrate it at college with your friends within 15 minutes right before an upcoming lecture!
- You’d rather spend two hours staring at a human liver, studying its anatomy, than go home later and find out that your mother has cooked “livers” for lunch!!
- You’re not supposed to panic when you see a dead body dissected into pieces or a blood pool in the street!
And it becomes pathetic when..
- You forget your name!
- You’re always supposed to be anywhere but your home… Doing what? Attending either lectures, sections, rounds or courses!!
- You forget what a “weekend” means since you’re out 24/7!!
- You’re always doing something, so your biggest fun becomes staying at home and doing nothing!
- You either have migraines, gastritis or sinusitis!
- You take anti-depressants, anxiolytics & sedatives without (or with) consultation!
- You get a panic attack at least twice!
- Sometimes you think you might need psychotherapy!
- Your summer vacation starts 2 months after other students get bored of theirs!
- Your younger siblings graduate before you do and even get a job!!
- You usually miss your family gatherings, birthday parties & weddings and you spend your whole “Eid” vacation studying for an upcoming exam!
- Peoples’ blood, urine, stools, pus, sputum and vomitus become a part of your curriculum and a part of your job later!! (Yeah, I know it’s disgusting)!!
But you know what, after all, I think I love being a medical student!! 🙂